SEO is long term work and needs a good monthly workflow to achieve results. It is time consuming and if not mapped out correctly it can not give us the results and consequently no ROI on our SEO efforts.
If you are working as a Marketing Manager or working on the marketing of your own company,
here is a basic workflow that we have planned out for our Brisbane SEO activities and it does help with moving the rankings to Page one and increasing website traffic leading to enquiries. SEO if planned out and done every month is 100% going to give results.
- Determine the business’ main goals and objectives (what are you trying to achieve?)
- Review your businesses current online status / health (Get a website review)
- Review the existing website design to see if it matches your goals (Goals can be getting phone call, consultation, download a guide and many others)
- Identify the top 3 to 5 competitors
- Note down potential keywords, content ideas, marketing strategies and back link sources
- Perform keyword research to identify profitable keywords that will help you achieve your business goals.
After doing this we actually have an exciting list of tasks because we’re working on on-page optimization. This involves fixing any technical SEO errors that you find with the website review and optimizing the webpages you want to work on for the keywords you have selected. Just this work alone can have a huge impact on your rankings!
Especially when it comes to smaller cities or industries that aren’t super competitive, we’ve had so many websites go from nowhere to be found in SERPs to the top of page 2 or bottom of page 1.
After this below on-page optimization work, you’ll be able to watch and see what happens and continue with the upcoming month’s work to further boost the rankings to the top spot.
- Conduct a full website audit ( fix broken links and other technicalities most importantly page speed)
- Identify list of webpages to target ( add more content to it if required, change the design to make it more conversion focussed)
- Fix page titles, descriptions and urls and use chosen keywords in it (start with the webpages you are targeting plus overall site issues)
- Make sure Google Analytics and Google Webmaster Console are active. This helps us to make data driven decisions in the long term and make changes as per that..
Start with some off-page activities like creating some directory submissions.
Month 2 and the following months:
Coming into month 2 you may already be seeing a steady increase in your rankings, traffic. The upcoming work is going to boost your rankings even further both in the local pack and in organic search results.
Now it’s time to work on citations for local businesses. This will be a process performed over several months. You do not have to wait until month 2 to start this process so don’t forget you can adapt this checklist to best suit your needs. Unlike some of the other SEO steps, this process can be done at any time.
- Conduct a citation audit to identify current citation sources, any inconsistencies and any duplicates.
- Fix all inconsistent and duplicate citation sources.
- Update any citation sources that are not fully complete.
- Acquire all major local citation sources
Citations are the addition of Name, Business Address, Phone no, and sometimes business description as required by local directories. These directory submissions are called citations. The more citations we have the more it comes on the Google Local Map.
The citation building continues this month but it’s time to pursue some other activities too.
Other Off-Page Tasks to Complete
Build citations, classified submission, profile creations, social media promotion, email marketing to circulate the blogs created to get more website traffic
- Build back links as scheduled.
- Uploading and optimizing new blog posts, article posting, guest blogging and submission to forums.
- Create a testimonials / reviews page on a website with at least 5 reviews. For multi-location businesses, include unique testimonials on location pages.
- Review Analytics to monitor progress and make sure there are no issues.
- Review Google Search Console & Bing Webmaster Tools for any warnings or errors
At the end of each month, you should be putting together an SEO report to understand your SEO results. This report should include:
- Increase in monthly traffic
- Position ranking of Keywords
- A general list of the work that has been done
- Any big findings or anything unexpected
- Any improvements
These months may start to feel a bit repetitive but the work is so important. You should be seeing improvement in rankings at this point and these efforts will continue to support what you’ve done.
- Build new location and / or industry specific citations
- Continue building back links as scheduled
- Upload and optimize new blog posts (location specific posts are great)
- Consider creating (or having created) a press release and distribute
- Conduct a new website audit
It is good to run a website audit about once a quarter. This ensures that no new issues have come up, especially as new content has been added. This will help you resolve any errors quickly so you get the most results from your content.
- Review Analytics to monitor progress and make sure there are no issues
- Review Google Search Console & Bing Webmaster Tools for any warnings or errors.
From 6 months and beyond, here are the tasks you should be doing:
- Continue building citations and other off-page activities
- Continue ongoing and steady link building campaign
- Continue social media promotion
- Continue regular content uploading and promotion
- Conduct quarterly competitor analysis
- Conduct quarterly website audits
- Review website conversion
- Implement split testing and make website changes based on results Always be testing!
Where to Go From Here
The tasks listed above are ongoing tasks to be done in order to increase rankings (if needed) but also maintain rankings as new competitors enter the scene and current competitors work to regain their rankings.
Once you have achieved results with your initial set of keywords, you can now work to select new keywords to target and restart this same process for those keywords. This will continue to build the authority of the site, the brand, the website traffic and the overall growth of the business. Building the site’s authority by performing these tasks and building high-quality backlinks will also help make it easier to rank for more competitive terms over time as well.
At Conveyz we follow the above-mentioned SEO tasks in Brisbane as per industry requirements and also would change strategy and tactics based on that. But the monthly activities would remain the same.
Contact us if you need a review of the website to understand your online opportunities with competitor analysis.